Thursday, May 23, 2013

Why I Still Voted

I just voted. As an overseas absentee voter, I sent the ballot envelope containing my vote to the embassy in Den Haag, The Netherlands. It cost me 54 euro-cents (PhP 25), but I was happy to spend such amount for the reason I will mention here. I could only vote for the national candidates, much to my disappointment because it is in the local election where my single vote could really make some difference.

Despite the feverish pitch of May 13 national election, there is a strong sense of combined indifference and skepticism in the power of the election to change or inject hope in the plight of average Filipinos.

The common reason for the indifference and skepticism  is this line: "pareho-pareho lang ang mga 'yan, korap at wala naman mangyayari eh" (everyone is the same, corrupt, and nothing will happen afterwards anyway). Then, why bother to vote?

I feel strong reasons to continue voting and participate in the democratic process of selecting political leaders. To be and take part in this process carry a tremendous honor and responsibility to one's society. To my mind, it is only through election that I truly feel my role as a member of a society. (Well, during Olympics or other games/sports, my belongingness to a certain society is also at the peak).

Reading and seeing the final national election results, I was not generally happy. The inclusion of the daughters of the current vice-president and former presidential candidate, sons of a former president and out-going senator, cousin of the current president, and wife of an out-going senator,  in the final ranking of the 12 senators-elect is not a positive sign for a democratic process, in my mind.

What redeem the final  results to my utter defeatist sentiment are the election of young people in the House of Senate, the high final ranking of two "independent" candidates, and the victory of four women out of the 12 winners of the senate seats.

These results have provided me more reasons to participate in the next elections, in the hope that the  candidates win not because of their last names but of their capability to empower the masses through them. What I realize in the concluded election is that the Philippines seems to be very far from this stage. Like me as a student from far away place, the hope seems to be distant. But in my heart and in the hearts of those who continue to dream of a better Philippines, this hope will come, like many overseas workers who one day will come home.

I believe that hope has a home in the Philippines. Believe with me.

2 comments:

  1. .. Your blog entry is an inspiration. Congrats Menandro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. I salute those ofw who vote despite of their distance to the polling stations. This just shows us of their concern to our country..

    ReplyDelete